Why a new name?
As society changes and the needs of communities change, we also need to be able to respond accordingly. This work has included reviewing our activity focus and our branding (especially the use of the controversial ‘BME’ label).
Following research, we have been able to return to our original core values as a serious charity promoting the welfare and wellbeing of ethnic minorities across North Somerset, using the name originally suggested by our management in 2013: ‘Race Equality North Somerset’.
Our new working name was publicly announced during Race Equality Week, 2022, and the change has been warmly welcomed not only by various ethnic minority groups but also the local District and Town Councils, funders and other organisations in North Somerset as well as across the country.
Below are some examples of articles for further reading on this topic.
- ‘Race’ Definition [Equality Act 2010 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/9)
- Beyond BAME (https://pure.coventry.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/41898015/Beyond_BAME_final_report.pdf)
- Diversity Guide – Race/Ethnicity – Equality and Diversity (https://www.devon.gov.uk/equality/communities/diversity/guide/race)
- Office for National Statistics (ONS) on Race and Ethnicity (https://style.ons.gov.uk/house-style/race-and-ethnicity)
- Please, don’t call me BAME or BME! (https://civilservice.blog.gov.uk/2019/07/08/please-dont-call-me-bame-or-bme/)
- Don’t call me BAME’: Why some people are rejecting the term – BBC (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53194376)
- Use of language: race and ethnicity | Advance HE (https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/guidance/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/using-data-and-evidence/use-of-language-race-ethnicity)
- A guide to race and ethnicity terminology and language | The Law Society (https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/topics/ethnic-minority-lawyers/a-guide-to-race-and-ethnicity-terminology-and-language)
- BAME – UK broadcasters commit to avoiding catch-all term (https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/uk-broadcasters-bame-acronym)
- UK broadcasting industry agree to abandon terms of BME and BAME UK broadcasters BAME acronym: (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59559834#:~:text=UK%20broadcasters%20have%20committed%20to,specific%20terms%20to%20describe%20ethnicity)