North Somerset Council have plans for a new road to bypass the village of Banwell.
The bypass will be funded by Homes England’s Housing Infrastructure Fund.
It will help to:
- reduce traffic congestion through Banwell
- make roads safer for active travel
- reduce noise
- improve air quality
The bypass will also open up further areas of land for travel and housing. This will provide access to a greater range of jobs for local communities. We will also have space to build new and affordable homes for growing families (subject to the Local Plan).
North Somerset Council have appointed Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd to design the scheme.
North Somerset Council are working to meet eight key project objectives:
- improve the local road network to deal with existing congestion issues
- improve and enhance Banwell’s public spaces by reducing traffic and improving the public realm
- provide the opportunity to increase active and sustainable travel between local villages and Weston-super-Mare
- provide infrastructure that can enable future housing development (subject to the Local Plan)
- ensure the development respects the local area and minimises visual impact upon the surrounding countryside and Mendip Hills AONB
- be innovative and efficient in reducing and offsetting carbon from the design and construction of the project
- ensure the development provides the opportunity to increase bio-diversity net gain by at least 10%
- proactively engage with stakeholders in a way that is both clear and transparent
North Somerset Council’s consultation on the bypass route is now live seeking your feedback on the favoured route, existing local issues that you think should be considered and additional proposals to reduce impacts of the road for Banwell and the surrounding area.
The consultation is open until Monday 16 August. Complete the consultation online
North Somerset Council will also be hosting two drop-in sessions (subject to local Covid rates):
- Thursday 15 July, 12.30pm to 7.30pm at Banwell Village Hall, 3 Westfield Crescent, Banwell, BS29 6BG
- Thursday 22 July, 12.30pm to 7.30pm at War Memorial Hall, Ladymead Lane, Churchill, BS25 5NH
Facemasks must be worn and Covid secure restrictions followed at the events.
If there any changes to the events North Somerset Council will update this webpage.
Your consultation feedback, along with the survey and investigation findings, will help North Somerset Council decide which route to take forward to more detailed design.
A further consultation on the detailed designs of the chosen route will be launched in early 2022.
|July/August 2021||six-week consultation on options for the bypass route and highway improvements|
|Late summer 2021||decision made on preferred bypass route|
|Autumn/winter 2021||detailed design of preferred bypass route|
|Early 2022||pre-planning application consultation on detailed bypass design|
|2022||submission of bypass planning application and land acquisition|
|2023||expected start on site to build the bypass|
|2024||expected bypass completion|